When Life Gives You Lemons, Clean With Them!
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade; clean with them! Not only do they make delicious drinks and tarts, lemons can keep your home sparkling clean! Lemons are a great substitute for many harsh chemicals commonly used in household cleaners. Continue reading for a list of places in your home lemons can help you clean!
- The microwave: Remove old built up food bits and residue easily with lemons! Simply boil a bowl of three parts water and one part lemon juice (rinds work great too!) for three minutes, or until you can see it begin to boil. Wait five minutes before opening the door; this allows the steam to work it’s magic on the gunk and also ensures the bowl will be completely cool before handling it. Once you’ve removed the bowl, wipe the walls with a paper towel and Voila! A sparkling microwave.
- Freshen up your wooden cutting board: Over time, wooden cutting boards can stain or even begin to trap smells (especially garlic). Getting rid of stains and smells is quite simple, all you’ll need is salt and half a lemon! Sprinkle the salt all over the board, and begin to scrub with the flesh side of the lemon. To get those really tough stains, rinse and repeat. This will leave your wooden cutting board looking and smelling fresh!
- Refreshing your drain: Garbage disposals are one of the most used kitchen appliances. After time they can begin to smell due to bacteria and old food built up. Lemons are a great way to not only fight bacteria, but will also leave a refreshing scent. Toss a few lemon rinds down the drain and turn the disposal system on! Do this once a week to keep your sink smelling fresh.
- Remove stubborn stains: Everyone has that tupperware container with the spaghetti stubborn stain. Say goodbye to that pink tint with this trick! Rub the container with lemon juice and let sit for 15 minutes, and then rinse with warm water. For those extra stubborn stains, repeat this process as necessary.
- Freshen up your fridge: Have you cleaned out your fridge but still notice an odor every time you open the door? Thanks to lemons, you no longer have to deal with that. Just cut a lemon in half; place one half on the top shelf, one on the bottom and close the door! Leave them sitting for about 30 minutes and your fridge should be smelling lemon fresh for days!
- The dishwasher: Similar to sinks, dishwashers can begin to have an odor after time. It comes from food residue building up and the bacteria that comes along with it. Eliminate this odor and bacteria by cutting a few lemon wedges and placing them on the top rack. Run a cycle as normal, and enjoy the fresh scent your dishwasher now has!
- Give your faucets a shine: Lemons are a great way to get rid of mineral build up, that not only looks gross, but could also affect your water pressure! Spritz lemon juice on the affected area and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Once time is up, rinse with warm water and watch your faucets sparkle!
- Shine your pots and pans: Get rid of any tarnished looking spots on your pots and pans by sprinkling coarse salt and scrubbing with the cut side of a lemon! Wait 15-20 minutes before rinsing away the salt. This trick is safe for any copper, aluminum or brass kitchenware!
Next cleaning day, skip the chemicals! Lemons not only have an amazing sweet scent, but also have great antiseptic properties. They can clean so many places in your home that you would never even think of. Switching from chemicals to lemons is not only better for the environment, it’s better for your health! Now you know, a sparkling clean home is simply a peel away. If you want to consider it clean, just contact Villas Cleaning Villas and we’ll take care of the dirty work! Specializing in residential and commercial cleaning.